Beginner tools / programs

Hi all! I have so many ideas and no idea how to actually do them. I work in IT though not in any role that includes config or code, so the concepts and theory make perfect sense, but I don't know what to research to get started. I want to: 1. Start with what I've got. How do I figure out compatability between the things I already have? I see mentions of protocols and environments, where is best to start in learning the basics of how to identify what I have, and how to work with it? There is a massive gap in between what I want to do, and the art of the possible. 2. Introduce centralisation and condense devices. I have smart things all over the place, alexa does some stuff, I have organisation and tracker apps, hue Bridge and another hub for pet devices that use their own thing, I also would like some nfc tags.... Some of the smart things are not alexa compatible and some of the apps can be automated using something like zapier, but I can't find one product or service that can do it all, without building my own... Which I don't know how to do (yet). I want to tinker with some server and pi projects, that may fall in to automation territory in future too. 3. Data. I would love to have a visual dashboard that pulls data out of the multiple sources and plugs it in to a database which then spits out some analysis. When tasks happen, when and how long some devices are used etc.. That way I can reflect and spot trends for more automation opportunities. I'm doing this manually at the minute but with so many apps and data sources I lose track or forget... I'd have to manually set reminders for tasks (which I forget to do) less often if I can spot the pattern and automate it. I cannot stress how much I am fed up of building spreadsheets and manually entering data at work, and want to avoid this at home... The only thing I know of is power automate but surely I have options? 4. Learn! I've found I can't search for answers because I don't have the language to be able to find specific guidance. I guess this is step 1 but as someone with a neuro-spicey brain, I get paralysed and do nothing until I am confident I know how. This is too big a project for me to learn first and then do. I need to learn as I go. But before that, I'm looking for the bare bones basics. What are apis/protocols/networks/systems/controls/languages.... You get the gist. Obviously too much to find in one place, but once I can find out what a device uses (step1) then I can figure out how it works, and then build it in to whatever my solution becomes. I do have percipio learning so I'm sure there's some courses I can look for but I don't know what.. Other than that looking at online resources etc.

Sorry for the essay, any and all ideas or suggestions would be a great help, thanks in advance!



Submitted by LabyrinthMouse
Comment Below

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Close Menu